FEMRITE - Uganda Women Writers Association will hold her 3rd Regional Women Writers Residence in November 2011. This is an exciting writing programme that brings together upcoming African women writers. The main objectives of the residence are:
- To give African women conducive space and time to write
- To create opportunities for inter-cultural discourse among women writers
- To strengthen collaboration among women writers’ initiatives in Africa
- To generate short stories for publication in an anthology
At the end of the residence, we expect that the writers:
- Will have improved at least one of their manuscripts
- Will have enriched each other’s manuscripts through discussion
- Will have submitted their improved short story for the residence anthology
How to apply for the 3rd Regional Residence
Interested women are required to submit;
- Part of a Novel / Short Story collection in WORD Document (30 pages, typed in Times New Roman, font 12, 1.5 spacing).
- A short story for publication in the Residence Anthology (if it is an already published story, the author must seek permissions for reproduction).
This call is open to African women living on the continent. Writers already attached to writers associations in their countries will be given first priority.
Deadline for submissions is 20th August 2011
- All applicants will receive notification by email once their manuscripts are received.
- The Residence targets 15 writers
- The Residence will last two weeks in November 2011
- Successful applicants will be given details of dates, travel, and accommodation by 30th August 2011.
FEMRITE wishes you all best towards widening women’s writing space on the African continent.
FEMRITE is very grateful to the following for their support towards the success of the last two regional residences.
- The Commonwealth Foundation
- The Swedish Institute
- The Caravan Journal
- Dr Helen Moffet (South Africa)
- Erik Falk (Sweden)
- Kerstin Norborg (Sweden)
- Birgitta Wallin (Sweden)
- Dr Patrick Mangeni (Uganda)
- Prof Arthur Gakwandi (Uganda)
Participants for the 1st Residence:
Betty Mukashema (Rwanda), Kingwa Kamencu (Kenya), Yaba Baedo (Ghana), Colleen Higgs (South Africa), Yemodish Bekele (Ethiopia), Olivia Jembere (Zimbabwe), and Lillian Tindyebwa, Sophie Alal, Philomena Rwabukuku, Margaret Ntakalimaze, Winnie Munyarugerero (Uganda).
Participants for the 2nd Residence:
Elieshi Lema (Tanzania), Mamle Kabu (Ghana), Mary Sililo (Zambia), Ketinah Muringaniza (Zimbabwe), Wame Molefhe (Botswana), and Beatrice Lamwaka, Lillian Tindyebwa, Constance Obonyo, Linda Lillian and Elizabeth Namakula (Uganda).